ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Take on Jesus, etc.

Time again for an offering of my own perspective or a metaphorical take on a pop (okay, okay sub-pop, but I've gotten into this discussion with several people before & it just seems pointless when the topic is Wilco, especially when it's with a devout Wilco/Jeff Tweedy fan with which I'm speaking). To begin, I like this song, I really like the whole disc as it has stayed in my "car music" book for over 2 years now. Many comments that I've heard regarding this song relate it to how Wilco wrote it as a response to the Twin Towers/9-11 tragedy, which can be doubtlessly proved wrong, considering the original release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (still need to find a copy of I am Trying to Break Your Heart & watch it, I guess the title of the rockumentary has hit a little too close to home in the last 6 months) came out before 9-11 if memory serves me correctly. Not that I'm saying that the relation of that terrible event & the song do not have surface metaphors. I just find it difficult to relate a song to something else I haven't witnessed personally (but I guess that's where imagination comes in).
Anyhow, I just heard the song on rp.com & it reminded me that a few weeks ago late in the evening I pulled out Porch Mix '03. Jesus, etc. is the second to last song on this mix. So I sat & thought about it, a few years after originally hearing & liking the song, finding that I felt a strikingly new reaction to the story, for current lack of a better word, this song portrays. Tweedy seems to be singing to a friend going through a tough time. The welcoming & calming demeaner of his voice emits a sympathetic & accepting tone towards who he's singing, offering his own strength to help out his friend. Although egocentricism a difficult, and quite offensive to some topic, the general grasp of our own lives lies in what we see out of our own eyes. Closing my eyes, a picture was painted of two friends, one feeling helpless & lost in a midst of unhappy feelings & events, twirling around & uncontrolled by him. The other, reaching out to let the first that it's all gonna be okay & that he loves him. One of the true beauties of a friendship, support & comfort through the tough times. Between myself and close friends the last couple weeks has brought death, heartbreak, loss of personal security, new beginnings, reopened doors & finally closed doors. Guess I just needed to reflect on more tangible matter today. Thanks Mr. Tweedy.
Snap. Now that I'm awake I have a grant submission today. At least during the times I wait that I can get this shit off my chest. In closing, I had a dream about speed dating last night & a dream about the high school fucking prom the night before. Throwing a real big WTF shoutout to that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home