ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I heart Linguists


Why on earth would you love stuffy, dissecting braniacs?

Because they're awesome.

And by awesome you mean boring?

Absolutely not. By awesome I mean awesome.

WHY CAN'T I BE YOU?

Tuesday night, 9:15 p.m., enter the secret underground campus bar. Seriously, there's an underground bar here. It's pretty snazzy. And by snazzy I mean it has Coors Light (woot woot!) for $1, pool, shuffleboard, everything's made of wood & a much better than average jukebox. La la la, I sat & awaited the arrival of one Divine Miss A. Turns out The Pub had Trivia Night.

If it's a temporary lull
why'm I bored right outta my skull?
Man, I'm dressin' sharp an' feelin' dull

Trivia Night is where a bunch of grad students sit in a basement bar & answer questions like...'who painted le homage to matisse, how much did it sell for last week, what's the significance' & 'what country contains these three cities (insert random cities I can't spell)' & wes anderson questions. It's funny & people get really into it. Miss A & I sat in the corner & talked modern psychotherapy. Mmmm...nothin' to spice up a night like modern psychotherapy!!

Isn't this supposed to be about linguists? Where the hell are these special linguist people?

After an hour or so we were joined by other linguists (by this I do not wish to imply that I am a linguist, only that there were linguists surrounding me). So what do we talk about? Naturally, linguistics. While one may feel that this could be a bit of a dull topic, quite the contrary. They showed me how to draw linguistic trees (see above) & we talked about the overlap of linguistics of psychology & linguistics & played some rocking music on the jukebox (after Trivia was over). Then I demostrated just how crazy nuts marketing is by profiling them & they were all 'woah, seriously, that's nuts & crazy' & I was all 'yep, you've been profiled & brainwashed your whole lives, sorry'. So I had this awesome cool night with a bunch of linguistics.

Waking up bright & chipper this morning I didn't think that life could get any better. THEN I FOUND THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! 'Ashlee Simpson continues her quest to become the most ridiculed celebrity ever when she slurs her way through a late night visit to McDonald's in Toronto.'

Also, I need some more houseplants...suggestions?

18 Comments:

Blogger nk said...

1. Spider plants are the best; scented geraniums are the worst. I should also mention that I think cactii are stupid and gross and don't remind me of Arizona and they should.

2. I walked by that very McDonalds today. It's across from the Royal Ontario Museum. (Ashlee Simpson is retarded.)

3. I worked in a psycholinguistics lab for a year. I am less enthusiastic than you about the discipline.

7:27 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

1. Thank you. I even have some hangers in which to place them.

2. Ha ha, that's hilarious. Yes, I think that AS's iq was published & it was somewhere around 65.

3. I'd probably feel less enthusiastic if I worked in a linguistics-oriented field.

11:43 PM

 
Blogger erin said...

1. i can cut and plant you a peice of my pepperoni plant if you want.

2. can you please profile me?

12:14 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

1. Hells yeah! I'll name it Erin or something.

2. Sure. Next time we hang out I'll do it for you.

12:36 PM

 
Blogger mandy said...

talking about linguistics is seriously one of my biggest turn ons.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger ica said...

Can I get in on the profiling sesh?

4:18 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Sure. I tried explaining it to Etro last night but he wasn't having any of it so I stopped. And I saw a kitten on the street & became more interested in that. Kitten kitten kitten.

4:30 PM

 
Blogger The Innominate Blogger said...

I have yet to meet a linguist or linguistics student who could comprehensibly explain Chomsky, and I've been looking since last February. Many approximate, most analogize, but none have satisfactorily articulated his theory of linguistics. If you intoduced me to someone who could explain this to me I'll be quite grateful.

10:02 AM

 
Blogger The Innominate Blogger said...

that's right, INTODUCED

10:04 AM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Uh, what's in it for me?

11:38 AM

 
Blogger The Innominate Blogger said...

Hmmm, howzabout some bullshit semantics?

12:52 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Throw some ice cream in & we have a deal.

p.s. totally forgot to tell you the big news...there's an AWESOME new gelato place by my apt where they make the goods at the store.

1:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheapest fastest real youtube views

[url=http://www.icanhazviews.com]Cheapest youtube views[/url]

2:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Verу good write-up. Ӏ сertainly love thiѕ site.
Keep it up!

Feel free to surf to mу ωebpage bucket truck
Feel free to surf my website ... boom trucks for sale

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taκe plеasuгe in, cause Ι discovered exaсtly
whаt I useԁ to be haνing a look for.
You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you mаn.
Have а great day. Byе

Here iѕ my ωeb blog - pregnant and using tens units

4:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do yοu ѕaу
it? Relevant!! Finally I hаνe found something that hеlped me.
Kudos!

Feel free to surf to my website: http://www.tensunitsforpain.com
My web page > tens unit hire

12:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're considering buying a residence in a new community, don't you need to take real estate agent's explanation of your area. Discover criminal offense amounts from the local authorities office, get your local local newspaper and look at the neighborhood food store. You can find out a whole lot about the local area by doing these 3 issues. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Somnamburg4[/url]

8:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no time for excuses in self improvement. Stop reasons in the door, and nip any laziness from the bud. One bad move can lead to an extended-term awful routine, so stopping laziness just before it begins is actually just helping you save upcoming work. Personal development is approximately simply being your greatest all the time, so exercise what you need to achieve. [url=http://www.xxxw12woo.info]cort5656e[/url]

11:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home