ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Friday, December 09, 2005

Blink Blink


Okay, so I'm soooo excited because there are 2 birthdays this week of superfun great people. Nick & Erin have birthdays on the 10th & 13th respectively. Party time!

The last couple days have been all 'all over the place' kind of. Well, more like the last week & a half. Today was a double blinking day. You know, when stuff happens & you just react with a blank stare & 2 blinks.

Double blink. Not juicy double.

But it's all starting to slow down & come together. Just like a puzzle. Like today, there's this contract that we've been working on since June. June! Remember June? That was a pretty fun month. It was definitely a warmer month. So the contract is FINALLY getting done so that we can do some stuff with Epo & somebody else can do some other stuff with it & test what we did or something & we get paid & the IP but the company gets first rights to it if we discover anything, like a new continent. Ha ha, just kidding. All of the continents have been discovered. Unless the continent exists in dark matter but then I guess not but are continents really continents in dark matter?

Blink blink.

So I'm on my way to URA (University Research Administration) (pronounced: UUUUURRAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! (exclamation necessary since it's a pretty dull place & you really need to psyche yourself up to go over there)) & I see this dude smoking. Now, mind you that other than ONE DAY last week I have not brought cigarettes to work in like 4 weeks now (or something like that). This is good because I like cigarettes but know that I should not smoke them. Well, I like them other than they cost entirely too much money & they make your hair smell not like the shampoo you used & the health affects aren't all that positive. Like slowing your circulation by causing plaque in your aeortic valve or something & increasing your risk of an heart attack or stroke & cancer.

Blink blink.

Anyhow, I really wanted one so I asked this guy if I could bum one & he looked at me like I was an enormous blue lobster, all weird-like, & said 'no'. Uh, okay. Maybe he didn't think that I'm over 18 years of age (which I am by like 8 years & some change) & was thinking 'no way, this girl is like 17' but I really haven't looked 17 since I was about 22 (shortness gains you anti-years) so I don't know what his deal was. Probably that he paid for them & I didn't. But you see, bumming is the universal language of smokers. I've bummed from people that spoke absolutely no english & bummed to those who didn't speak a lick of my native language. He probably just didn't feel like it.

Blink blink.

So then I picked up a Pepsi for one of the girls that I work with & saw these health bars who's slogan is 'think thin' (yes, I realize that this is marketing, target market, placement right above the 'chips' conveniently the slogan is placed on the back of the box, selling a happiness, all that bullshit). Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy? Just thinking about thinness would make you thin or something (I'm even buying into the schemes). Well, let me tell you, just thinking about thinness doesn't work. (see: the obesity rates in the US) Unless, maybe if you obsess enough & develop an eating disorder which is probably rooted in something else since a tried & true eating disorder isn't something that you just wake up with usually.

Blink blink.

So then I went to Anil's memorial service & listened to sweet stories for an hour and a half. Lots of people were crying. I said goodbye to a friend.

Blink blink.

And then I met some of Jaimster's art student colleagues in the loop for dinner in the middle of a blizzard. They are some neat folks, let me tell you. Their genres are all different. Unfortunately, so far they've sat in their studio for 10 days (8 without sufficient heat), with zippo communication (other than the Mooney Foundation, which really doesn't count) with the outside world, knowing no one in Chicago, sick & with no supplies. They were a lot cheerier than most people I know would be in the situation but still quite down-trodden appearing. One of which may go see Caribou with me tonight. The radiator in the living room is making strange, airplane-about-to-take-off noises right now.

Blink blink.

To complete the night, day, whatever, one of The Physicists & I hit up the pub & listened to some Shania Twain (not our choice), The Replacements, Bjork & The Boss. Cheetos sound really good right now.

Blink blink.

Ajax, I'm gonna steal a phrase...This random post brought to you by a slowly-hissing-the-carbonation-out-bottled-up mind.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ajax said...

oooh phrase stealing woman!

11:57 AM

 
Blogger nk said...

That took me 3 minutes to read. And it was worth 2 of those minutes.

You love junk food like I love bikes.

1:07 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Uh, sorry for wasting your time?

1:46 PM

 
Blogger nk said...

Oh gross. I didn't mean that comment to come out like that. Speech errors. Ask the linguists.

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Roonie said...

Quite a busy lady indeed.

6:38 PM

 
Blogger ica said...

I liked this post.

1:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home