ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Monday, March 20, 2006

Mission: Glow Little Glow Worm Glimmer Glimmer


It's HERE! Spring is here. Here. And everywhere else in the Northern Hemisphere. Know what this means?

No more sleeping in on the weekends, burying myself in blankets until noon with Merlin tucked neatly under my arm. Nosireebob, it's coming up on TENNIS TIME! And the best part of tennis season, if I do say so myself, since they haven't yet put up those pesky nets that do nothing but get in the way.

X-TREME TENNIS. Know what else?

Thunderstorms! You know what's fun during a thunderstorm? Pretending like all of the electricity is out & using candles & flashlights & telling ghost stories (mine are all lame because I don't like scary anything so they all have happy endings with friendly ghosts who become friends with the people, kinda like Beetlejuice), eventually, peacefully falling asleep to the trickle of rain pouring off of the roof. And once it gets warm outside stomping through the puddles or going to The Point & watching rain & lightning roll in.

Mmmm...Spring, I missed you.

But in the meantime, anticipating the arrival of 60 degree days, still living with 40's (if we're lucky), I have decided to get in all of the lazy, lulling around, watching movies as I can. See: this weekend.

Growing up, we used to spend the weekend at my dad's in Oak Park. These were awesome weekends filled with whatever we wanted to do, hanging out in the city, going to music festivals, making homemade pizza, eating brownies, playing with his kitties (Dashiel & Sam), doing gymnastics on the shag carpeting in his basement & having zero responsibility. We took lots of silly pictures & watched lots of silly television. It was a silly good time. Some of the movies we watched were pretty obscure (or at least for 9 year olds). At mom's we only watched The Muppets Take Manhattan (still an awesome movie), Top Gun (go back & watch it when you're older, it's kind of weird) & Mannequin (Andrew McCarthy & Kim Catrall!) but at dad's we could watch Eddie Murphy standup, Killer Klowns from Outer Space (previously mentioned) & I got my first taste of what is still one of my very favorite televisions shows...Police Squad.
You know, the early 80's show with Leslie Nielson? Where the guest star is killed in the credits? And it's like The Naked Gun but better? I've looked around a little bit but have found nothing. Not on Netflix. Not on Blockbuster.com. Hmmmppphhh... That is why this is now my decided mission for the rest of cold weather. Step One: Find complete Police Squad set. Step Two: Put in VCR (not yet on DVD, apparently) Step Three: Eat brownies & laugh. Simple enough, right? So if anyone in Chicago has seen these around in a video store, please let me know. I'd really like to fill a day with this. I'll bake you brownies!

11 Comments:

Blogger ida gasp said...

Beautiful blog! I agree about learning patience in a hurry. Ironic eh? How are you?

4:48 PM

 
Blogger P. Diggler said...

If you use bit torrent, Try tvtorrents.com I checked and its there but there may not be anyone to download it off of. Can't say I have ever seen it, but I loved the Naked Gun when I was a kid so I will have to check it out.

6:28 PM

 
Blogger screetus said...

How come in Canada it gets COLDER when spring arrives?!

9:05 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Ida: Thanks! At work at 8:15.

Weldon: You will NOT be disappointed. It's like The Naked Gun without any silly plot line & people finding drugs in cars & walking into a Japanese Garden where it's really just people of Japanese origin standing in flower pots.

Screetus: I do not know. You should ask god.

9:11 PM

 
Blogger Captain Bee said...

Fuck tennis and thunderstorms, I just run with scissors. Much more entertaining.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Conti said...

Hiya Tron-

Long time no comment - my bad...

I still planning on visiting Chicago-just when its warmer.

Today's temperature in Austin, TX is 74 degrees. There is not a cloud in the sky. You could sunbathe, if you wanted.

When would be a good time, do you think?

2:58 PM

 
Blogger Marisa said...

I'll keep a look out for Police Squad. I can't resist homemade brownies.

"Going to the Point"? UofC'r huh?

3:38 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Contiiiiiiiiiiiii: Yeah. Summer's WAY awesomer here than winter, unless you like to stay inside & get kinda depressed. I'll shoot you my tentative summer schedule.

Marisa: Um, maybe? Southsider yourself?

O Cap'n My Cap'n: Please send a video of that.

3:50 PM

 
Anonymous Dave said...

Mmmmmmm.....brownies. I don't know where you can find Police Squad and I refuse to watch anything on VHS but I will pour you guys drinks while you watch if I can steal a brownie or two.

Emmy, you're not god?

10:02 AM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Dave: it's a plan.

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Spo said...

I miss not having any responsibilities what so ever.

TV at your dads place kicked ass.

3:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home