ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Sunday, March 12, 2006

When the Day that Lies Ahead of Me Seems Impossible to Face


Lately I've given into indulging myself in depressing reading. Having put down The Confederacy of Dunces, feeling like it'd be much more fulfilling at The Point or under a tree in the park across the street, my instincts found me at Samuel Beckett. Not all that surprising since this happens every year around the same time. The winter has gotten boring. And the neighbors are trying their part at water torture with the metronome going without any sort of accompaniment. When the this season first rolls around I'm excited about snuggling into flannel and fleece, watching movies and eating popcorn on Saturday nights and taking hot, lavendar baths, but by the end get sick of it, looking longingly at the skirts and sundresses hanging in my closet & actually wanting to shave my legs everyday. Note to self: buy stock in Skintastic, sell before October.

Despite all best intentions, this happens every year. This particular winter included an almost part time job dancing and spending as much time as possible with one miss Jaimers. Maybe giving into complete hibernation would alleviate the situation. And I know that I'm not the only one. Talking with fellow Chicagoans, they seem to be dealing with the same. We all get bags under our eyes, more obvious in the contrast of our now pastey skin. In my opinion the best way to describe this is 'blah'. Many of you know, having a list of things to do but unmotivated to do anything. Some may call it depression, I call it February and March.

Maybe it's god's idea of a joke. The warm days are cloudy & misty. The sunny days are cold with a wind that makes my eyes tear on the way to work.

But as a fan of challenges (see: most men I've dated), I'm not about to take this lying down. Some tricks I've tried have panned out as nothing but a distraction but one, in particular, magically brings me out of the duldrum life & reminds me that 'uh, okay', vocalized monotonly, is not the only response to questions and is unacceptable.

5 things that make this day wonderful:
1. Merlin snuggling under my arm while I napped this afternoon
2. Having breakfast with mom this morning
3. The tulips poking their heads out of the ground, promising me 2 weeks of absolute splendor walking to work
4. The Vitamin D from sitting out on the balcony
5. Watching Peter Sellars trip over carpets in The Pink Panther this evening

Wow. Didn't take that much to smile. Bill Withers just came on iTunes. Time to sit back with a cup of tea.

7 Comments:

Blogger nk said...

Cute, cute, cute.

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Captain Bee said...

That hat is the fucking bomb diggity. Send me seven. Now.

Pretty please?

8:23 AM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Cap'n: Not my hat. If I see one, though, I will fer sher pick one up & send it to you. Promise.

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Electronsean said...

weird...I just put down Confederacy of DUnces, but I put it down cos I lost it!

1:09 PM

 
Blogger Spo said...

great to see tea getting a little shout out

read Snowblind by Robert Sabbag - the cocaine coffee carved artefact scam is genius I tell you! genius!

3:38 PM

 
Blogger emertron said...

Spo: Are you kidding? I love tea. Green, black, white, herbal...I got ALL kinds. Nummy num!

4:15 PM

 
Blogger ica said...

Some may call it depression, I call it February and March.

great line

7:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home