ardent bullshit comes down every faultline gushing heavily into jest kindly luscious melons nodding openly post quakes resting still to undermind various wonderous xylophones yawning zealously

Monday, January 29, 2007

The New Blogger, the New Me or something


What's going on? I'm so confused by this New Blogger thing. It's like Dorothy Sbornak's wardrobe. You think maybe that it makes sense but no, it really doesn't. It's just a big ol' mess of too much going on without any sort of semblence of logic.

Shoulder pads are not flattering on anyone...just ask my mom, she had a terrible run with them in the 80s!

Watching The Golden Girls on Friday was my goal for the day. Yes, they are on at midnight here in the great (& currently fucking freezing) city of Chicago on the Lifetime television channel. Television for women! I was hell-bent on getting my January 29 deadline out of the way so that I could have a relatively normal weekend & didn't have to spend the whole time in the office like most of the last few weekends. I walked out of work a little after 11 p.m., hair stuck to my face with the tears that streamed down my face 4 hours earlier & a vengence in my soul that could only be cured by a shot of tequila & a 6-pack to go, the knowledge that I got it done & the ability to partake in the super-ballet class without the feeling of guilt that I had so much more to do.

You see, we had 2nd quarter projections due and since no one was around during the 1st quarter, the 1st quarter projections didn't get done so it was up to myself & wonderful coworker (really, she's awesome & we've totally gotten each other through these the last few weeks) to pull up our big girl pants & get it all done. Wait, wasn't there another Rush Limbaugh-listening coworker, you may be asking. Yes, there was. She quit a month & a half ago. So despite having my own professors' projections done, lovely coworker & I had to do hers. As well as all of the grants that her profs planned to & are planning to send out. Honestly, though, the grant part turned out quite well, since I get to interact with some wonderful people.

If I ever see the girl who quit in the midst of everything again, I'm gonna bonk her on the head like a whack-a-mole until she understands the headache that I've had for the last 2 weeks.

But they're done!!!! Those insanely irrirtating & time-consuming projections stand complete for the time being. And I feel a bit like a medical resident or first year law school student...exhausted, bumbling & underappreciated (well, very appreciated by my boss & big boss but the big big fish all went home at 5 everyday & still imposed this terrible deadline on us & that's just demotivating considering that a big part of this mess was their's & we cleaned it up). Except that in 3 years I won't be making anywhere near 100k/year so I guess I'm on the losing end of the stick in that respect.

I have a life again. And I saw a little bit of daylight on my way home today. And got to go to the grocery store without running through to 'the store will be closing in 10 minutes' hoping that dinner won't take more than 15 minutes to make & eat. And I'm pretty sure that my blood pressure's gone down considerably.

When 'you don't look so good', 'oh yeah, well I got home last night at 10:30 & I get here between 8:30 & 9 so what is it that you need me to do?' is a regular conversation with coworkers & you're secretly wishing that you had the excuse of a child to get out of the office but not because you want a kid but just want to go home for over 12 hours, you know that you're working too much & have turned into a complete bitch.

But this big bitch got all of her work done on Friday night & DID step it up on Saturday morning, despite essential delirium, long-winded conversations in my brain about good ol' Dorothy's wardrobe & thinking that yes, Strong Medicine is a really good show despite inebriation. I took the low level advanced ballet class from a Hubbard Street teacher & did a damn good job, had a great time & promised myself that I would never let 4+ weeks go by again without indulging in enjoying myself by pointing my toes & putting my hips in unnatural positions.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sun Follower said...

"Shoulder pads are to the 80s, what bell-bottoms were to the 60s" - David Bowie

Glad you made it through to the other side... weird week, indeed!

2:48 AM

 
Anonymous jessica said...

yay for being done w/ that stuff

12:42 AM

 
Blogger Conti said...

Should men stop wearing shoulder pads as well?

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

david byrne is the only human being allowed to wear shoulder pads. him, and macguyver, because you never know when he'd need to make a helicopter out of them.

8:01 PM

 
Anonymous 123Valerie said...

I hear you, lady, from shoulder pads to Golden Girls to unnatural hip positions.

I have to diverge RE the Strong Medicine thought, but I do like the doctor show with Billy Ray Cyrus.

10:55 AM

 
Anonymous spo said...

I too try to point my toes and shift my hips into unnatural positions as often as possible.

5:57 AM

 
Blogger Sun Follower said...

TAGGED!

3:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there 

What does everyone think of what is going on in Iraq?

By the way, I love that too!  How did you find that?  

See you soon! Girly Girl 



[color=#369][url=http://paid-physician-surveyrvleczszw.bl
ogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/color]

4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home